Tuesday, November 4

Spinning class: Disco Fever!

I never thought I'd say this but I was inspired to put together a disco theme ride by one of those pop star reality TV programmes (X-Factor). I know, I know - but it's better than watching Strictly Come Dancing on a Saturday night!


Usually, I think of a ride profile before choosing music to match. In these types of ride, however, I put together all the relevant tunes before weeding out the not-so-good ones. Then I look at what's left and see what type of ride looks best, weeding out a few more if they don't fit that profile. The other thing I wanted to do was use "updated" versions - whether remixes, mash-ups or sampled tracks. You'll see what I mean from the playlist below.

Other than just enjoying the music, there's no particular aim other than to work as hard as you want and in control (i.e., 65-85% of MHR, although 70-80% is ideal). There are no real breaks, to encourage riders not to overdo it. Essentially, it's three loops - a slow climb, while increasing resistance, which then increases in speed (and thus effort level) by approx 10% before it's back a flat road. If, with gradually increasing resistance, HR is up to 75% by the end of the first part of the climb, it should finish the climb at around 85%. The flat road can be used as recovery as an option, especially for beginners.

Warm up - 4 mins
Climb - 15 mins
Flat road - 3 mins
Climb - 9 mins
Flat road - 5 mins
Climb - 15 mins
Flat road - 3 mins
Cool down - 6 mins

Playlist

Love's theme - Barry White
Working my way back to you - Detroit Spinners
Rasputin - Boney M
I will survive (Barcode Remix) - Gloria Gaynor
That's the way I like it - KC and the Sunshine Band
D.I.S.C.O. - Ottawan
Y.M.C.A. - Village People
Popcorn - Hot Butter
Stayin' Yeah - Usher vs. Bee Gees
I feel love is a stranger - Donna Summer vs. Annie Lennox
Can you 1999 it - Prince vs. The Jacksons
No more tears (enough is enough) - Kym Mazelle & Jocelyn BRown
Greatest trickster - Sister Sledge vs. Kelis
Funeral pyre - John Powell (from Bourne Supremacy)
I'm goin' down - Mary J Blige

Go on, admit it - you were singing along as you read the playlist!

9 comments:

Shannon said...

Looks good, let me know how "the folks" liked it. I'm really curious about that 15 min. climb.

Jennifer Sage said...

Looks great! I'll save this one for later...I'm themed songed-out for the moment (if you know what I mean) after Halloween and election day! Great playlist though.

Robert said...

First time doing it tonight - a few were singing to themselves, a few had those smiles that have "nostalgia" written all over them, but all felt it was hard going.

The 15-min climb (less in the middle one) is split nicely - the first sector is approx 61-62rpm, resistance loading but not unbearable; second sector is approx 64-65rpm, with the same resistance it's a slightly harder effort; third and final sector is approx 68-69rpm, with an effort level raised again, so may need to stand for some or all of this part.

HR was approx 70/75/80% on the climb, with resistance staying more or less put. Although it did creep higher on the final loop!

Robert said...

PS - suggestions have now flooded in for other theme rides:

Blues Brothers
Movie Soundtracks
Miami Vice
Latin
Eighties

...not forgetting my annual Christmas ride!

Shannon said...

I'm gonna try this one really soon, I'll let you know.

:)

Anonymous said...

I was looking for a new idea for a class profile and came across your disco fever class. I have created my own disco profile for tomorrow evening - it will be a strength profile with a lot of resistance loading! This will be a hard, but also fun ride!

Additional music suggestions:

Evelyn Thomas - High Energy
Supermax - Love Machine

Thanks for the idea!

Anonymous said...

I did the strength ride yesterday and must say that I felt more like an aerobic instructor than like a spinning instructor! My students had a lot of fun, but found the ride also very exhausting (maybe lack of oxygen? I told them to pace themselves, but some of them gave too much). I am sure they felt like 30 years younger!

Anita (this time with my name on the post!)

Anonymous said...

Could you advise how I can download " I will survive (barcode remix ) ".

Thanks

Marie

Robert said...

Hi Marie!

Many remixes are available from URG: http://theunitedremixersguild.com/

However, if you search that site or on Google for URG Pop Divas, that's the CD that had the track for which you're looking.

Good hunting!